All government schools in Western Australia are encouraged to have a School Council. They are legally formed bodies that are given authority to set the key directions of a school within centrally provided guidelines. In doing this, a School Council is able to directly influence the quality of education the school provides for its students.
The functions of School Council are to take part in:
- Establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions,
- The planning of financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions,
- Evaluating the school’s performance in achieving them
- Formulating codes of conduct for students at the school.
- Determine, in consultation with students, their parents and staff a dress code for students when they are attending or representing the school
- Promote the school in the community.
The School Council approves:
- charges and contributions for the provision of certain materials, services and facilities
- extra cost optional components of educational programs
- items to be supplied by a student for personal use in an educational program, and
- any agreements or arrangements for advertising or sponsorship in relation to the school.
The School Council is essentially a decision making group. It represents the school community in the process of school planning and policy development.
2020 School Councillors
Helen Thorne, Chairperson (Parent Representative) – email@example.com
Chuck Berger, Vice Chairperson (Parent Representative) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosemary Taffinder, Community Representative – Rosemary.Taffinder@nrtafe.wa.edu.au
Justine de Candia, Parent Representative – Justine.deCandia@communities.wa.gov.au
Daniel Faricy, P&C Representative – email@example.com
Priscilla Williams, Indigenous Representative – Priscilla.Williams@communities.wa.gov.au
Natasha Storey, Indigenous Representative
Paula Cooney, Community Representative
VACANT, Community Representative
VACANT, Parent Representative
Bronwyn Wright, Principal – firstname.lastname@example.org
Michaela Olawsky, Staff Representative – email@example.com
Kellie Jackson, Staff Representative – firstname.lastname@example.org
Matt Dowell, Staff Representative – email@example.com
Sara Smith, Staff Representative – firstname.lastname@example.org